Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Yamaha Run for Heroes Experience at Bonifacio Global City

It was my first time to run at Bonifacio Global City.  I followed fellow runners wearing the Yamaha Run singlet just to know where to go.  When I arrived, the 21K runners have already started and the 10K was about to start.  I quickly ran to the registration area and asked for my kit.   The singlet was really good.  It was marked with New Balance attached with a 495 php tag price.

Before I proceed, I would first like to thank Ms. Vimz from one of my favorite running blogs Kulit on the Run for my kit.  After emailing her of my interest, she informed me that I could claim my FREE kit on the date of the event.  When I arrived, it was indeed there prepared with my name on the Race Bib.  Thank you so much!
Onsite Registration
Baggage Counter
Medic and Command Post Tent
Finishers Tent
Hero Foundation Booth
Hero Wall
Yamaha Apparel and Supplies Booth
The set up was the familiar Runrio setup.   Big ground area with tents for each booth.  There were tents for online registration, baggage counters, medic, command post, finishers' tent, game booths, sponsor booths, winners booth,Yamaha Apparel booth,Yamaha Motorcycle exhibit booth and the Hero foundation (the beneficiary of the run) booth.  There were portalets too.
Waiting for start-off

This was my first I am running in the 10k category and I was also alone.  During the start-off, I begun to jog slowly together with most of the runners.  I was not yet sure of my capabilities so I didn't rush.  I kept a slowly but steady stated until I reached the 5KM marker.  Although I was unfamiliar with the entire area, it was okay because they were marshals, ambulance and way points almost everywhere.  Coach Rio was also roaming in his Yamaha Scooter.  Among all my runs, this run had the best weather.  It was cool and not too hot even after sun rise.
Powerade MountainBlast (my fave!)
After sponging run again 

There were sufficient water stations.  Some water stations also had Power Aide Mountain Blast flavor but you need to find it and ask for it because its inside those big drums.  They were so many bottled water that runners actually ask for one.  I didn't ask for one because I didn't want to waste my strength carrying it.  Besides water stations were stationed every 1.5 Km or so.  They also gave us cool wet sponges during the middle of the run.  It was my first time to experience that.  It was refreshing.  Colorful sponges decorated the streets.=p
air room
velcro ball dart game

Freebies booth
ID Lace Prize
After the race, we claimed our finishers kit which is composed of a Yamaha Knapsack and Cap, Race certificate, "The Bull Runner" Magazine and a small medicine bag from Unilab.   I also got my FREE drink.  After that I lined up to claim my FREE Nature Valley Trail Mix.  There were also Kellog's Special K cereal and Century Tuna Samplers but we didn't bother lining up.  I instead lined up an the turning velcro ball darts wheel game(similar to mine at home by my door) and won myself a Yamaha motor key chain.  We also lined up the air room game.  You will be placed at a room for a few seconds and you have to find the paper with a mark to get an ID lace.  I stay in line under the sun for nearly 2 hours for this.  When it was my turn the ID laces ran out and they gave us the cap similar to the one in the finisher's kit instead.  I didn't care.  It was fun=)


People camping to watch for the awarding and raffle
Greenwhich while waiting for the raffle
Female 21 Km winners
Kenyan Grand Winner 21 K
2nd winner 21 K


All want to join the raffle

1st winner of Yamaha Mio

2nd winner of Yamaha Mio

There were contests and dancers.  The winners were also awarded.  Yamaha also donated 1M php to Hero Foundation.  A foundation for the Armed Forces of the Philippines's (AFP) orphaned children.  Lastly at around 10:30 p.m., the raffle for the 3 Yamaha Mio Fino (roughly 100,000 php each) was held.  Since it was already late, less than a thousand people were left.  In fact, all the winners called were not present that the raffle was reset for only those who were there.

Overall, this was a good run event.  Fun games, contests and program, lots of drinks, good freebies, great beneficiary and full assistance from marshals, ambulance and police.


Here are some of the scooters exhibited:

Update: 

No comments:

Post a Comment