Monday, May 23, 2011

Mahogany Rush - Mahogany Rush IV (1976 us hard rock and hard blues with guitarrist Frank Marino - MP3 320K and FLAC)

IV is probably my favorite Mahogany Rush recording which is pretty amazing considering how much I like Strange Universe, Live, World Anthem & Tales of the Unexpected.

Frank Marino is in peak form on this recording and so are is the original rhythm tandem of Paul Harwood on bass & Jimmy Ayoub on drums.

This is the original line up and to me these guys shared a special chemistry and vision that reached its zenith during this recording session.

Frank Marino is one of the most charismatic and electric of personalities I have ever had an honor to witness.

I've seen Mahogany Rush play in 1977, 1979 and in the 1980's too. Recently I've seen his new edition of Mahogany Rush in 2005. While he is no longer flying across the stage these days, he is no less a guitar player.

In fact I would say a good analogy might be he is more like a marathon runner vs. a sprinter like he once was. His shows now are like 3 hours non-stop!! Frank Marino is still one of the most intense players to ever sling a six string bar none.

Franks ability to compose and perform these compositions goes beyond the physical requirements to do so.

Employing a special spiritual gift, Franks soul pours through his fingertips sculpting the sound. He further shapes the messages vocally allowing him to tap directly into your inner being itself.

Proof of this is right at the beginning with the heart wrenching opener "I'm going away" where the solos are off into the stratosphere with no intentions of coming back. This is one that you will always remember and a tune I hope I hear when it's my time to leave this place.

There is no letting up with "Man At The Back Door" and I get chills just thinking about it.. you know, that feeling you get when you think someone is there right behind you that you can almost feel their breath on the back of your neck?!!

This album is made for headphones, if you don't have a pair, I would say buy a pair especially for this recording. ... and find some time to enjoy the whole thing in one sitting with no interruptions and at a good volume.

Speaking of volume, you will definitely want to crank it up a notch on "The Answer" which is one of my all time favorite Mahogany Rush tunes.

Paul Harwood's backing vocals will send those hairs on your neck on end for sure during this one which has it all!

The classic Mahogany Rush "sound of one" envelops you as a giant organic breathing entity whilst the guitar launches you into the deepest regions of hyper space and your imagination.

You may need to open you eyes from time to time to make sure you are still in your chair!

You might think your ride couldn't get any wilder after track 3, but "Jive Baby" will immediately
put any ideas of a let down to rest.

This has got to be one of the funkiest bass lines & rhythms ever! The guitar on this one is incredible and again if you have the headphones on the wah and panning during these solos will have your head feeling like it is on a swivel! Definitely an air guitar favorite that will have you making some pretty funny looking faces too working out the wah wahs! Simply awesome!

All of this leads up to "It's Begun To Rain" which has to be one of the most heart felt pieces Frank has ever sung next to "Moonlight Lady" from Strange Universe.. A magnificent solo during the climax of this song leads into some really fine jazz playing.

You know, every time I listen to this recording I can only laugh at those critics that say Frank is a Jimi clone or others like Robin Trower and Stevie Ray have matched and / or surpassed the ability of our beloved Mr. Marino.

What a bunch of idiots these people are. I really like Jimi, Robin & Stevie, but give credit where credit is way over due. Like I said earlier, Frank is one of the best ever bar none. This one recording alone proves that.

The rest of this album is just as good as the beginning but I don't want to make your eyes bleed any more than they have to. Suffice it to say that "Dragonfly" is another all time classic Mahogany Rush tune that made it onto the "Live" album.

"Little Sexy Annie" is on par with the guitar pyrotechnics that would surface later on the album "The Power of Rock & Roll".

"Moonwalk" is a really cool track that showcases the great imagination these guys had when composing this song! I don't even know how to classify this one except it is purely their own and again highlights the bands love of jazz playing in which they all excel. Simply amazing! (Did I say put on those headphones!!!!)

Ending with "IV... The Emperor" this track shifts emotionally from the introspective melancholy of a soul in despair to the raging anger of a warrior in battle to a wise man that has reached the end of his life. The lessons and trials of life seem to be breathing through the guitar during this epic masterpiece.

This recording means a lot to me. It was and remains one of my favorite records ever. It was recorded at a time when I was graduating from high school and was always on my turntable and in my 8 - Track Player! Some of my most distinct memories of listening to this recording were when I moved to Alameda, CA with my sister.

I knew no one out there and there were many nights when I would just sit on the top of her front steps of her Lincoln Ave. apartment at night by myself and have Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush transport me to another place.. another time (by
Thomas A. Gallagher's).

The Answer:


Track List:
01.I'm Going Away 4:09
02.Man At The Back Door 3:44
03.The Answer 4:38
04.Jive Baby 3:29
05.It's Begun To Rain 6:30
06.Dragonfly 5:07
07.Little Sexy Annie 3:25
08.Moonwalk 5:50
09.IV ... (the Emporer) 7:17

Mahogany Rush:
*Frank Marino (guitar, vocal)
*Jimmy Ayoub (drums)
*Paul Harwood (bass)


[ Thank you SILVERADO for sending this post ]
CODE: 52554

1 comment:

  1. hi, is there a link for download Mahogany Rush - Mahogany Rush IV?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete