Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jonesy - No Alternative (1972 uk progressive rock -Si Wan records edition - MP3 320K and FLAC)

Trevor remembers:"Bernie, Terry, John and I did what felt like a very long tour of Germany. Sadly, there was a lot of tension in the band and when Jonesy returned to England two of the guys decided to go their own way.

Bernie had been offered a really good gig in a band called Tranquility and Terry retired from music completely to settle down to a much saner lifestyle in retail management."

Trevor and John auditioned for new musicians and recruited Jamie Kaleth (joint lead vocals and mellotrons) and David Potts (drums).

However, the two brothers still found themselves arguing about the direction of the band and Trevor was not a happy bunny.

‘I had started the thing in order to continue the music I was playing in Sweaty Betty, specifically progressive rock, but John wanted to include white funk (listen, for example, to Ricochet on the first album No Alternative).

By contrast, I was writing very different songs. During this period, for example, I wrote the first version of 'Inside the Dark Room' which was about early experiments in sensory deprivation which I was studying as a psychology student at London University.

We had very heated arguments about musical direction and eventually I sat down with John and had an in depth discussion along the following lines: "Listen! We’re brothers and we are sharing the same house. If we continue like this we are going to end up hating each other.

We have different musical tastes. Also, I'm enjoying being a psychology student and I've been offered a residency in the West End (of London) playing with Charlie Charles (see Ian Drury's Blockheads) who is a great drummer . I've decided to leave the band."

Shortly after, David Potts parted company with the band and John found himself auditioning for a new rhythm section.

It was an exciting line-up but the tensions remained. Following friction between David and Jim on the one hand and John on the other, David and Jim were replaced by Richard "Plug" Thomas (drums) and Nick Greenwood (vocals and bass).

Meanwhile, Trevor and Charlie Charles were making silly money working as musicians in a strip-joint in Soho.

Just before Christmas, the guitarist and keyboard player left, and Trevor asked John and Jamie if they'd like to make some very good money for 3 weeks work. They agreed and the four musicians really enjoyed working with each other.

There were still arguments happening in Jonesy between John and Nick. John asked Trevor to rejoin the band.

Trevor remembers: "At first I was not convinced that this was a good idea. Working with Charlie Charles was easy there was no stress, just good musicianship.

I was aware of the political, tensions within the band and wasn't immediately attracted to re-joining Jonesy.

On the other hand, it was extremely tempting to continue the concept I had originated.

What finally made up my mind was the fact that Alan Bown was joining the band. I’d long been a fan of the Alan Bown Set and loved his whole stage persona.

Also, when I met him I discovered that he was the same off-stage. So I re-joined Jonesy.

If I remember right, John and I had a punch-up on one of the very first gigs of the new lineup! I think this really freaked out the rest of the band" (from www.jonesytheband.com).





Track List:
01.No Alternative (8:14)
02.Heaven (8:14)
03.Mind of the Century (4:12)
04.1958 (7:53)
05.Pollution (9:43)
06.Ricochet (4:59)

Jonesy:
*John Jones : lead guitar, vcs3, vocals
*Jimmy Kaleth : mellotron, electric piano, grand piano, vocals
*David Paull : bass, vocals
*Jim Payne : drums, percussiom


[ Thank you LARRY for sending this post ]
CODE: 52716

No comments:

Post a Comment